Stellar Overload (formerly Planets³, pronounced «planetscube») is a 3D open-world voxel-based RPG in first person, from Cubical Drift studio. It was successfully funded through Kickstarter on April 3rd, 2014, and its campaign ended on April 5th, 2014, successfully raising $310,708.
The game is inspired by other games like Minecraft, Skyrim, Starbound or Zelda; movies like Star Wars; and even construction games like Lego.
Key features[edit | edit source]
The key elements of the game are:
Milestones[edit | edit source]
Some important dates of Planets³ development:
- Mar-Apr 2014: Kickstarter campaign
- Mar 09, 2014: Planets³ Steam Greenlight concept
- Mar 27, 2014: Prototype is released to the press
- Apr 21, 2014 - Jun 22, 2014: Online store opens with Kickstarter equivalent rewards (except for add-ons and top tiers).
- Jun 02, 2014: Backers can start registering, validating tier selection and optionally selecting add-ons with the remaining pledge amount.
- Jun 30, 2014: Official forum is opened.
- Aug 06, 2014: Official website is reworked, and now includes a development progress chart.
- Sep 01, 2014: Technical prototype (v0.7.7) is released.
- Oct 29, 2014: Decision to switch game engine from Ogre to Unreal Engine 4.
- Jan 07, 2015: Pre-alpha version is released.
- May 27, 2015: First alpha version is released.
- Jul-Sep 2016: First building contest, used to select the spaceship for Steam game cover.
- Jul 12, 2016: Game wins $15 000 via Unreal Dev Grants.
- Oct 12, 2016: Game is released on Steam early access.
Roadmap[edit | edit source]
The intial roadmap from Kickstarter campaign has shifted by a few months, in particular due to unforeseen replacement of Ogre game engine with Unreal Engine
Race to Space[edit | edit source]
The first release, named Planets³: Race to Space, is to be finalized, with all features complete, for end of 2015 and will include all the goals up to 500 000$ (with the Planets³ editor). It will take place in the first solar system, with the storyline suspended beyond that...
The estimated timeline (as of October 2014) is:
- End 2014: Race to Space pre-alpha
- Begining 2015: Race to Space alpha
- Middle 2015: Race to Space beta
- End 2015': Race to Space release
Space Enemies[edit | edit source]
The release of the 'full game', named Planets³: Space Enemies, will open onto the universe and lead to a climactic story ending. Some clues will be scattered in the first opus, though mostly in annex quests and dungeons.
The estimated timeline is:
- 2017: Space Enemies release
Cubical Drift[edit | edit source]
Current development team is composed of:
- NeoM (Michel Thomazeau) - CEO, Co Funder
- Cording Marmot (Fabien Perrot) - Dev Lead, Co Funder
- Guyk (Guillaume Grodwohl) - Dev, Co Funder
- Mick (Mickaël Parisot) - Dev
- Altaus (Olivier Fouques) - Web Lead
- ReyMantha (Alexandre Rey) - Lead Artist - 
- Martino (Martin Brunet) - 3D Generalist
- Merakline (Kelly Recco) - 3D Generalist 
- Liwhem (Wilfried Nass) - Sound Designer 
- Lexi - Administration
Former team members:
- C34 (Alex Vial) - 2D Artist
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The ³ can be done on Windows using Alt + 0179 keys.
- Technically, if translated to English correctly, Planets³ should be pronounced «Planets cubed.»
- The Mac stretch goal on the Kickstarter campaign was successfully reached on April 5rd, 2014.